A How To Avoid Having Lost or Stolen Travellers Cheques
Protect Your Travellers Cheques
- As soon as you receive your Travellers Cheques, sign them immediately. Sign, using your usual, normal signature, in the upper left hand corner of the Cheque. Do not use erasable ink or pencil.
- Do not sign it again until you are cashing it. This should be done when are you are in front of the agent who will be accepting it.
Record Your Travellers Cheques Serial Numbers
- As soon as you receive your Travellers Cheques, after signing them, the most important thing you must do is record the serial numbers of each and every Cheque.
- You will need these serial numbers if you need to report the Cheques lost or stolen. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Keep the recorded serial numbers in a safe place. Make sure they are safely stored, in a separate place from your Travellers Cheques. Once again, do not keep your serial numbers in the same place as the your Cheques.
Benefits of Travellers Cheques
Safer Than Cash
One of the greatest benefits of Travellers Cheques are that they are very safe. Because each serial number is recorded by the issuer, they are very easy to track. As long as you know the serial numbers of your lost or stolen Cheques, your local Travellers Cheque Service Centre will have no problem assisting you with filing a claim. Your Cheques can be replaced within 24 hours. This makes them much safer to use than cash.
Lost or stolen travellers cheques can be replaced within 24 hours
Simple to Use
Travellers Cheques are so simple to use. Once you sign your Cheques and record the serial numbers, you are ready to spend and shop. When you’re ready to spend them, just sign your signature in the lower left hand corner, and date the Cheque. Be sure to do this in the presence of the person accepting it from you.
Travellers Cheques are accepted worldwide. Participating locations include thousands of shops, restaurants, hotels, stores, etc… You can also use them at Travelex and American Express Foreign Exchange locations. They are available in 4 different currencies:
- US Dollars
- AU Dollars
No Expiration Dates
Travellers Cheques do not have expiration dates. Yes, that’s right! They do not expire… ever. That means you can save all your unused Cheques and use them on your next vacation. Have some left over from your last vacation? Since they don’t expire, you can give them away as gifts. Your loved ones will love a present they can use anytime, that’s safe and secure for their next trip.
Cashing Your Travellers Cheques
- Cashing your Cheques is as simple as signing your signature and dating it. That’s all it takes. Ask your retailer if they accept them. If they do, start shopping!
- If at anytime, your encashment location won’t accept your Travellers Cheques, you should contact Travellers Cheques Customer Service Centre for assistance. It is the policy of American Express that your Cheques be honored at all encashment locations.
Get Your Lost or Stolen Travellers Cheques Replaced
Be sure to read the terms and conditions of your Travellers Cheques. This will help you understand the rules and regulations better. Also, do not forget to sign your Cheques immediately upon receipt. This will be very helpful if they are lost or stolen, as the second signature must match the first one. Be sure to protect your Cheques by recording every serial number. You will need to give these serial numbers to the Travellers Cheques Customer Service Centre to report them lost or stolen. Your replacement Travellers Cheques should be available to you within 24 hours.
What to do if your lose your American Express Travellers Cheques
1. Do You Have your serial numbers at hand?
You’ll need to have the serial numbers of your Travellers Cheques when you call us. We always recommend that you keep your original purchase receipt recording your serial numbers with you when you travel. But remember to keep it separate from your Cheques at all times.
2. Have You Called Us?
You’ll need to notify American Express about the loss or theft of your Travellers Cheques as soon as possible. To find the correct number to call from where you are, simply use the search tool on the right. The phone number to call from the UK is 0800 587 6023. We’re here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
3. Can You Collect your Refund?
You can pick up your refund at any American Express Travel Services Office and thousands of partner locations worldwide. Just tell us what suits you.
4. Or fax us
Please allow approximately 3 weeks for the replacements of your lost or stolen travellers cheques.